What is a Notice of Intended Marriage?

Think of this as your application for a New Zealand marriage licence.


At the very least, three working days before your wedding date – as it takes the local NZ Court House/Registry office this long to process your Notice.

At the very most, no more than 3 months before your wedding date – as your marriage licence is only valid for 3 months.

Be aware of public holidays and Court House/Registry Office closures which may hold up the process. I recommend that couples complete and submit their Notice of Intended Marriage a month or two before the big day to get it out of the way in good time.

How much does a Notice of Intended Marriage cost?

Your Notice of Intended Marriage costs $150 (NZ dollars) and this can be paid at the Court House/Registry Office where you register your Notice.


Ideally yes. This is a case of hoping for the best but planning for the worst. If it comes to your wedding day and you’re unable to use your first choice wedding venue due to weather conditions or other circumstances, you will need a plan B. Talk with your celebrant about your options here.

What is a bridegroom?

This is just another word for groom! 😊


There is space on your form to state how the previous marriage ended and when. You do not need to provide any evidence as when you complete the “statutory declaration” you are signing that all the information provided is true… and they trust you!


If you live in New Zealand or you are arriving in New Zealand at least one working days prior to your wedding day, this section must be completed in front of NZ Registrar staff at a NZ Court House/Registry Office. If you’re applying from outside of New Zealand and arriving in New Zealand less than one working day prior to your wedding day, this must be completed in your home country in front of a Commonwealth Representative at your closest New Zealand embassy.

Can I email my Notice of Intended marriage?

Most couples will be able to submit their application online. But if you need to email the court house directly you can find all contact details HERE.

And don’t forget to copy in your celebrant to keep them in the loop!

Do I need to take ID with me to get my marriage licence?

ID is only required when collecting your marriage licence. ID is not required when submitting your Notice of Intended Marriage.

Do we both need to be there to lodge the paperwork?

Nope. Only one of you need to attend the Court House/Registry Office to complete the Statutory Declaration. Note that the Statutory Declaration must be completed by one of the parties to be married (a bride of groom), this is not something that your celebrant can do on your behalf.

I made a mistake on my Notice of Intended Marriage... what should I do?

Contact the Court House/Registry Office and let them know of the error. The staff will correct the mistake ready for you to collect your documents. A fee may apply for this service.

Got another question?

10 + 2 =